The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely.
― C.G. Jung
So, today is the day! While awaiting most anxiously for my lovelies to arrive, I began working on some pattern blocks necessary for the spring semester. We have to create three complete looks for a collection so I’m doing mine for The Airship Nemesis Crew. I will be completing Cassie’s, Sarah’s and my outfit for this collection. Woot!
Before I start with the picture progress today of the corsets, I’d like to give you a bit more of some backstory. There are several reasons for why I am finally waist training. The most prominent one is that I am very self critical of my body and the way I look. All growing up and through high school, I was on the larger size, and never felt pretty. I was 175+ pounds, wore size 16 jeans, and I looked with envious eyes toward my skinnier classmates. (Although, I must say, freshman year was the year I felt awesome because I was like 140 lbs after a growth spurt so my stomach fat hadn’t caught up to me yet lol).
I will admit, I am getting better about coming to accept myself for who I am. Since graduating high school, I’ve lost a good 15 lbs or so. (Summer of 2012 I was down to 144, but due to stress this last year of college and the assault in November, I’ve managed to put a lot of weight back on. The scale this morning read 157 x__x; Not proud of this and it eats at me but…I will just have to deal). I think what has helped is in my senior year of high school, I was lucky enough to find a man who loved me for me and didn’t care that I was larger. This man is now my boyfriend of just over 5 years (we celebrated our 5th on November 13th). What is a plus is that he is also just as fascinated with Victorian era as I am. He gets to be my guinea pig for men’s clothing muwahahaha.
But, back to the subject at hand. Picture time! I ordered my corset from www.orchardcorset.com. Style 411 in cotton. http://www.orchardcorset.com/corsets/steel-boned-underbust-corset-in-cotton-cs-411/
Things I have learned today:
- If you’re going to wear pants, make sure they either are very stretchy, or a size UP from what you normally wear. (because it’s hard to twist yourself in a way to get the damn things on under the corset once tied).
- If you don’t have a size pants that are larger than normal, then I suggest putting said pair of pants on BEFORE the corset….and hope you can get them on and off easy after that (or just don’t use the restroom much but…that’s not a good idea either >>; )
- It is very handy to have stretchy tights for comfort around the house when you don’t have to go outside.
- Why did I have to start this on one of the coldest fricken days? D:
- I need wool skirts for the cold so I can avoid the jean problem
- I need pantalettes, or very low rise panties.